Pat Young wrote:

6.  The problem I am having is that if the ActionForm
failes validation, then the sales.jsp page gets an
error becaue it can not find the bean in the Request
for the products list.  Should I build this bean in my
validate and place it in the request at the beginning
of validate?  If validate fails, there is no other
opportunity to build the products list and get it into
the Request.

Personally I often opt for the easy solution and put the List in Session scope, but there are other alternatives that have been discussed on this list before.

7.  I typically uses Actions to retrieves and build
beans and then add them to the request for the jsp to
access.  Is this an acceptable practice also?

Depends what you mean by "build beans." Nothing wrong wtih setting stuff into Request scope from your Actions, but make sure you are calling some business process that does the actual "building." For example...

//in your Action:
List someList = someBusinessClass.getMyList();
request.setAttribute("listWhatever", someList);

--
Rick