> Oh I didn't live there, I just worked there.  I lived in
> Frederick County, Maryland, which was quite a bit better of a
> place to live than in Reston.  I agree, those laws are quite
> a bit uptight -- no place should have obnoxious zoning like
> that.  But the area is pretty clean, seems to not have much
> of a crime rate, and has decent roads and places to eat.  A
> good place to work, but I'd live in Frederick, MD any day over Reston.

But the commute from Frederick to Reston is horrendous!

Reston Town Center is a nice environment once you get there. The problem is
that the place is traffic-strangled. The local roads cannot handle the
traffic problem already, and more and more giagantic buildings are
constantly being built.

As for the laws quoted above (painting houses, etc), *lots* of developments
have homeowner associations that impose these kinds of regulations. These
associations are quasi-governments (you *must* belong, you *must* pay the
fee) that don't operate like governments (membership - and votes - go to
owners, not residents, and are sometimes weighted by size or cost of
property owned). Lots of people get *extremely* angry at them, but you
usually lose a fight against them.

--
Tim Slattery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]