<snip>
To maintain functionality across a standard scope (request,
session, application) something in the work flow application will have to
go into that scope or into some other equivalent persistence mechanism such
as a database.  If the work flow application maintains the persistence,
then it is merely using the regular scopes.  And, it does not provide any
new scope.
</snip>

Yes, the WorkflowScope can never be any more than a way of abstracting some
of the tiresome details of managing such session scoped stuff across
requests. The code that makes use of the so-called WOrkflowScope can treat
it conceptually as a new scope that has many characteristics in common with
the session, but underneath it really is just a part of the session or maybe
stuff put in a db.

That 'stuff' will obviously use storage space (RAM or DB), and knowing when
it is ok to discard it is the tricky bit (whether your implementing a
workflow framework or doing a one off thing for a particular use case).

The worst case scenario is that everything added remains until the session
is expired.

The best scenario is that everything is removed as soon as it is no longer
needed.

Depending on the nature of the app, the reality is likely to be somewhere
between the two as there are some cases of abandoning a workflow that simply
cannot be reliably detected (ie: window closure).