I'm writing an application that will require some fairly complex forwarding logic. After an action completes, it will need to query my model for the current application "state" and translate that into the appropriate forward/next step. The forward itself may require some pre-processing. To further complicate matters, I'd like to be able to subclass and add or remove "steps" from the process.

At this point, I'm planning on creating a sort-of "forward helper" class which can translate a business state into an ActionForward and prepare the request for this forward. I'm a bit stuck though on my subclassing. It seems like I'd need some sort of factory to get the right helper class for my application, if I don't want to subclass all my actions as well. Am I making sense at all here? Any thoughts?

Nick