I apologize if I didn't mention it but I'm using the Velocity tiles tool. Maybe that would be a better place for this question.

Mike

Mike Foody wrote:

I have a similar question. I would like to insert at runtime multiple instances of the same layout and set a property at that time. I didn't see a way to do this via the documentation and so extended the TilesTool with the following code. Is there something I've missed? If not is the code below a reasonable way to do this?

Thank you,

Mike

public class TilesTool extends org.apache.velocity.tools.struts.TilesTool {
public String get(Object obj)
{
if (obj instanceof ComponentDefinition)
{
try
{
return processDefinition((ComponentDefinition)obj);
}
catch (Exception e)
{
Velocity.error("Exception while rendering ComponentDefinition" + e.getMessage());
}
}
return super.get(obj);
}
public ComponentDefinition getDefinition(String name)
{
ComponentDefinition definition = null;
try
{
definition = TilesUtil.getDefinition(name, this.request, this.application);
}
catch (DefinitionsFactoryException dfe)
{
}
return definition;
}
}

Pedro Salgado wrote:

Below is a reply sent to this mailing list about something very similar to
what you are looking for.

Hope it helps,

Pedro Salgado

Hi Robert..

I guess you could achieve the same using the controllerClass attribute and
building your class.. For instance, I have this definition in the
tiles-defs.xml file:
---
<definition name=".layout"
path="/common/layout.jsp"
controllerClass='com.dars.XTileAction'>
<put name="title" value="Encabezado primario"/>
<put name="leftside" value="/common/leftside.jsp"/>
<put name="rightside" value="/common/rightside.jsp"/>
<put name="header" value="/common/header.jsp"/>
<put name="footer" value="/common/footer.jsp"/>
<put name="body" value="/common/body.jsp"/>
</definition>
---
And I have this controllerClass
---
package com.dars;
import org.apache.struts.tiles.actions.TilesAction;
import org.apache.struts.tiles.ComponentContext;
import org.apache.struts.tiles.Controller;
import javax.servlet.ServletContext;
import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import java.io.IOException;

public class XTileAction extends TilesAction implements Controller{
public void perform(ComponentContext tilesctx,
HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response,
ServletContext servctx)
throws ServletException, IOException{
/* GetAttributes */
String titulo= (String)tilesctx.getAttribute("title");
String derecha= (String)tilesctx.getAttribute("rightside");
/* GetAttributes */
System.out.println(" Titulo: "+titulo);
System.out.println(" Derecha: "+derecha);
/* SetAttributes */
tilesctx.putAttribute("title", "Titulo nuevo de esta vaina..");
tilesctx.putAttribute("rightside", "/common/footer.jsp");
/* SetAttributes */
}
}
---
You can change the values of those attributes at runtime. I prefer to do
it using this method.

Atte.
Domingo A. Rodriguez S.

--- Robert Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió: > Greetings, I have a
tiles definition in my tiles-defs.xml similar to

below:

<definition name="search" extends="layout">
   <put name="heading" value="{0}Search" type="string" />
   <put name="content" value="/search.jsp" type="page" />
 </definition>

which I would like to be able to modify the "heading" value such that
at runtime I could substitute a value for {0}.

For example, it would be ideal to use a JSTL type of syntax such as:

<definition name="search" extends="layout">
   <put name="heading" value="${param.myValue}Search" type="string" />
   <put name="content" value="/search.jsp" type="page" />
 </definition>

but this does not work.

robert