Here are my recommendations:

Do not use the latest Ubuntu and its derivatives:
It is not ready for sugar installation.

Use Ubuntu-11.04 or a derivitive :
1-)http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Sweets_Distribution#Sweets_Distribution_0.94
Sweets Distribution is easier to use for Ubuntu' and its Derivatives (Adding an additional Repository to synaptic) as the packages are pre-configured, ready to use.

2-)Trisquel 5
 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Trisquel

3-)Toast (Sugar only)
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast

Use Fedora:
4-)Install one of the f16 desktops and add sugar via the netinstall.iso by "customize now" and selecting sugar-desktop

5-) Install Soas (sugar only) with "liveinst" in sugar-terminal to Hard-disk from a booted Live CD

Other Community Distributions work well also
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#Community_Distributions

Have fun

Tom Gilliard
satellit_ #sugar on IRC

6-)there are also Prebuilt VirtualBox appliances you can import:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#VirtualBox_Virtualization