Yes, thank you sincerely for this report...my thoughts/responses are inline...

Chihurumnaya Ibiam wrote on 1/31/19 6:38 AM:
Hi Everyone,

This is a report about last year's GCI.

674 students participated. Of those, 245 completed at least one task.
This works out to just over 36% of the "participants" actually participating in a substantive way.
The most popular task completed by students was our beginner task: "Make a Pull Request", which was completed by 100 students.
Or, approximately 15% of 674.
60 students completed the "Install the Sugar Environment" task.
Under 9%

• Briefly what was merged; that is, the work that has become part of
  the Sugar Labs software.

We have about 91 PRs that were merged,
Is there a list of the Pull Requests listed below? I'd like to personally examine how many of them are substantive.

Sugar/Activities = 20
Sugarizer = 20
MusicBlocks = 38
TurtleBlocks = 2
Sugar Social = 6
Sugar Website = 5

The event was fun and I enjoyed every bit of it.

• How we might improve next year.

It may seem like conventional wisdom that some of our mentors lacked knowledge about some tasks or weren't contributors to Sugar Labs but every mentor had previously contributed to Sugar Labs in one way or another.

It'll be great if the tasks we want are agreed upon as an org, as this gives a definite direction and narrows down the type of tasks we have.

Although it seems as if we got little if any help from the  community in generating task ideas. It was all on the shoulders of just a few of us. That needs to improve.
What would be the ideal way to improve this, from your perspective?
And I think we had too many open-ended design tasks -- we should pare back that somewhat next year, but not eliminate them. (They are required by Google, for one thing.) Maybe structure them such that a student can only do 1 or 2 simple design tasks by marking them as beginner tasks (although I think that was the case for the most part this year too.)

--
Ibiam Chihurumnaya
ibiamchihurumn...@sugarlabs.org <mailto:ibiamchihurumn...@gmail.com>