James,

I didn't understand the purpose in forking before but now I do. A new fork
with my changes in a branch is here:

https://github.com/jdsimmons/sugar-runner/tree/python3

I updated the README with suggestions on how to test.

I just tried:

sugar-activity3 GetIABooksActivity.GetIABooksActivity

and it worked. I had no idea it would. I haven't worked on Sugar Activities
since 2014. After I wrote E-Book Enlightenment I went down a rabbit hole
where I prepared lots of books for archive,org and Project Gutenberg, wrote
and self published a memoir of my youth among the Hare Krishnas, figured
out how to use LaTeX to bring public domain books back into print and self
published a bunch of them until Amazon put a stop to it, and even started a
novel.

I would have stayed in that rabbit hole if a bright eight year old boy had
not decided that he wanted an old computer running Linux I had intended to
give to his older brothers.

As for why I still want to get sugar-runner working, it is because it gives
me the whole Sugar environment. After I use Get IA Books to download books
I need to check the books out in the Journal and make sure they got in
there OK and are readable. Activities using collaboration really need the
whole environment working and making screenshots that look like what the
Activity looks like on an XO laptop is easy with sugar-runner.

Thanks again,

James Simmons