Also you have the option to _not_ post proposals for public review, or
posting a different version to GSoC.  I'm not a mentor this year, but
if I recall correctly it is the version posted to GSoC that mentors
are to rely on for selecting.  Proposals posted earlier do indicate
community engagement, but they also make for competition, which isn't
always a positive experience.  Choose wisely.