project:

I have been working on preparing a glossary of sundial terms, with
international comparisons.  This will be part of the forthcoming interpretive
catalogue of 500 historical sundials that I'm writing for the Adler Planetarium
and Astronomy Museum (Chicago).  Some time ago, I also agreed to allow NASS to
publish a version as well for use by dialists.

I think it would be wise to pool our information or prepare a jointly authored
and jointly sponsored work.  I would very much like to work on such a project.

But I think this is a matter for the Boards of the BSS and NASS to decide.  It
has not yet been discussed by us.

As for the glossary being part of a FAQ list, I tend to think that is not the
place for it.  Some basic terms should definitely be defined in the FAQ list,
but most of the glossary may well be arcane to the average person.  Remember
that a FAQ list is meant for newcomers to a field.  The simpler the FAQ
list--the more rudimentary the material--the better it will serve those
newcomers.  This is a case where less is more.  Otherwise you will scare those
newcomers away.  (here I'm wearing my museum curator/educator/exhibit designer
hats)

That is not to say that there is no place online for hefty substance and nitty
gritty details.  There could be a site with information of use to more advanced
dialists.  A "full" glossary could still be put online sometime if either
society saw fit.

Sara Schechner
NASS Secretary
39N 77W