Hi Tony,

I have looked around the web for more information and found a caution of:

"Because of its porosity you do not get a satisfactory anodized finish on cast
aluminium which has been machined. An as-cast aluminium surface will not have a
lusterous finish when anodized. (looks poor)"

What might one do if they wanted to anodize the Schmoyer dial?  It is aluminum
cast, isn't it?  Will it work on a cast surface that has been smoothed?  What
does it mean to be "machined"?  I would think "machined" means to grind and
mill the surface smooth.  Have you found surfaces of aluminum (or is that
aluminium - Al  u  MIN nee  um) that have not worked well?   I have found your
steps very interesting.  I have always wanted to find a
good link of sun dialing to chemistry.

Thanks

Warren Thom