Wow, Ron, I'm impressed by this language stuff!  Let me play around with it
for a few days and see how it works.

Patrick,
You asked whether I have tried to classify multiple dials, Saxon dials,
mass dials, stained glass dials, cruciform dials, heliochronometers,
armillary dials, etc.  The short answer is Yes.  I have considered all these
forms and more.  The Adler catalogue has roughly 60 types within its
collection of 500 time finding instruments.  Of necessity I have classified
them all.  In my email, I didn't bother to itemize each form or put them
into classes and subclasses.

I would like to work with the BSS and the sundial list to take this
forward.  I will post a list in a few days.   I have some reservations about
the way the BSS list is organized.  For instance, I see cruciform sundials
as just a special case of polyhedral dial.  Other cases are cube dials and
various regular and irregular polyhedrons.  All are hour-angle instruments
in which multiple sundials are combined on a single object.

(Sorry about the delay in putting up my list for comment, but I'm finishing
a draft of an essay  for a journal.  It deals with historical sundials as
evidence of human values and consumer culture.  It draws upon my work for
the Adler catalogue and a book I'm writing with the title "Sundials,
Science, and Social Change.").

More soon.  I think if we work together, we can come up with some good
stuff.
Cheers,
Sara

NASS Secretary