> Hi moondialists:
>
> I have been watching the waxing moon each night as it heads towards the
> total lunar eclipse on January 21 4:41:30 Universal Time.  Its apparent
> diameter seems to be increasing, which means that it is approaching perigee,
> right?  If last month's huge full moon was nearly at perigee, then doesn't
> that mean that this month's full moon will also be near perigee?  Wouldn't
> this cause the eclipse to last longer than an eclipse at apogee?  Does
> anyone know exactly when the moon is at perigee this month?
>
> Thanks, John
>
> p.s. Please don't forget to check the moon's declination on your sundials
> during the eclipse, and let us know your results!

According to the 2000 Astronomical Almanac, perigee occurs Jan 19 23 h
UT.  According to Kepler an orbital body moves fastest near perigee
(equal area rule).  The faster motion may outweigh the larger umbra--I
don't know, though I suspect this to be the case.

For more eclipse info, check out
        http://www.skypub.com/sights/eclipses/lunar/0001preview.html
        http://www.skypub.com/news/pr_eclipse000120.html
        http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEextra/TLE2000Jan20.html

Jim     40N45, 111W53
| Jim Cobb          | 540 Arapeen Dr. #100 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |
| Parametric        | Salt Lake City, UT   |     (801)-588-4632 |
|  Technology Corp. |           84108-1202 | Fax (801)-588-4650 |
The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a
time.           -- Abraham Lincoln