Recent postings to the sundial list have pointed out that on the equinox,
the path of a shadow cast on a horizontal surface is a straight line
oriented west to east. Only on the equinox is the path of any shadow a
straight line. When the shadow is cast on other planes, it is still a
straight line but the orientation depends on the inclination and
declination of the plane. For vertical planes, the angle of the equinox
declination line is equal to the substyle difference SD for a vertical
declining dial. Tan SD = Sin Dec / Tan Lat.

Earlier this year I posted a note that this mathematics can explain the
equinox phenomenon at the Maya temple of Kukulcan at Chichen Itza near
Cancun. I have re posted the note below explaining the phenomenon of
descending serpents on the equinox. Further analysis indicates that there
were several errors in the initial analysis. The dimensions and angles were
not corrected for perspective. The orientation was magnetic rather than
true. The plane specified was the plane along the wall rather than
perpendicular. The original math led me to just the answer I was seeking so
I posted the note. Unfortunately that answer was wrong. My enthusiasm got
ahead of my analysis, but the analysis is continuing. Stay tuned.

The remarkable phenomenon exists. Over 50,000 people witness it each year.
However, the more I study it, the  more skeptical I become that it was a
planned design feature of this particular structure. There is nothing
unique about the location, orientation or style of this temple. The equinox
phenomenon may be a modern over interpretation of an accidental feature.
The pseudo science of pyramid lore is almost as bad as magic crystals and
energy vortices.

My interest in this subject has led me to some interesting areas. One that
I would like to recommend is a 3D virtual reality tour of the temple of
Kukulcan. Go to <http://www.halfmoon.org/pyramid.html>. Download the small
14 kb file pyramid.zip. To view it you will need a virtual reality player.
As recommended, go to <http://www.virtus.com> and download the free player
"Virtus Player 4.0". On the Virtus home page, click on "Downloads". On the
"Download" page click on the small print "Use one of our free players". Go
to the bottom of the next page and download the appropriate Virtus Player
4.0. This is a 3 MB file that took me 15 minutes to download. Install the
player, unzip the Pyramid file and run it with the player. Then take a walk
through or orbit around the Maya temple of Kukulan. It does not show the
equinox phenomenon but it is an interesting tour. My thanks to Nancy
McNelly @ halfmoon for posting the file.

Enjoy the tour and the equinox. Let's celebrate the return of the sun to
the northern hemisphere, the end of winter and the first day of spring.

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
51 N   115 W

The original (corrected) posting follows.

"A highlight of my recent trip to Mexico was the Mayan ruins at Chichen
Itza, in particular, El Castillo, the Temple of Kukulcan. This great
pyramid is designed to mark the yearly cycle of the sun. Each of the four
faces represents a season. Each of the four stairs has 91 steps, the number
of days in each of the four seasons. The temple at the top represents the
365th day. The winter solstice sun just grazes the north face as the 45
degree angle equals the noon azimuth. (90-lat 20.666 - dec 23.44 -
semidiameter .25 = 45.6 degrees.

The light and shadow phenomenon of the equinox is world famous. See
<http://www.piramideinn.com/equinox.htm>. The corners of the nine platforms
cast a series of triangles on the stairway. As the sun sinks, the triangles
of light move up creating the illusion of a serpent ascending from the
ground to the temple. Tens of thousands come to this site at the spring and
fall equinoxes to witness this remarkable phenomenon of the serpent
descending to the ground as the sun rises and then ascending in the
afternoon as the sun sets. The show takes over 3 hours and peaks near
sunset when all nine triangles of light show the whole serpent.

I could not find a good technical analysis of the phenomenon. The
description in a booklet I bought has serious flaws. Most descriptions have
more mysticism that facts. I asked myself if sundial design math could
elucidate the phenomenon. Declination lines are the solution!

The concept of declination lines is familiar to most of you. These lines
are the path of the tip of the gnomon shadow for various dates and solar
declinations. When the declination and latitude have the same sign, these
lines are hyperbolic curves towards the gnomon. When the latitude and
declination signs are contrary the lines curve away. On the equinox, the
declination lines are straight lines. This is a universal phenomenon. The
path of all shadows cast on any plane surface at any latitude are straight
lines. On the horizontal plane, the equinox declination line is due east
west. On a south facing vertical plane the line is horizontal. On a
vertical declining plane, the declination line is sloped at an angle equal
to the Substyle Distance (SD) of a vertical dial on that plane. The usual
vertical declining design equation applies. Tan SD = Sin Dec / Tan Lat
where Dec is the declination of the vertical plane from south.

This special case of the straight declination line on the equinox is the
basis of the Kukulcan ascending serpent effect. At Chichen Itza, the
latitude is 20.666 and the orientation of the pyramid is 18 degrees off the
north south axis. In this case, the formula reduces to SD = 39 degrees.
This is exactly the angle the staircase of the tower makes with the
horizontal plane. This explains the movement of the shadows along the face
of the staircase creating the illusion of the serpent ascending as the sun
sets. Each triangle of light and shadow is in effect a separate gnomon
casting a shadow moving in a straight line at a 39 degree slope. A
remarkable phenomenon, simply explained with the mathematics of sundials.

This investigation required a lot of direct experimentation. I had to built
several sand castle models on the beaches of Cancun and Isla Mujeres to
test the solar orientations. I may now have to build one at home, adjusting
for the latitude difference by tilting the model by 30 degrees. This should
demonstrate the effect just as well as the original but snow may not be the
appropriate construction material.

Have any of you witnessed the event? Do you know of other examples of light
and shadow shows built into solar oriented structures? Do you know of any
good references to more complete technical analyses of the phenomenon at
Chichen Itza?

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 51  W 115"