In preparation for a catalogue of historical sundials, I have been organizing the dials into classes based on the principal feature of the celestial sphere or altazimuth coordinate projected onto the dial surface. I would like your feedback on the list below.

It appears to me that self-orienting sundials combine two distinct projections. Do you agree? What are they in the specific cases?

Here's the draft list followed by the ones I have questions about:

I. Directional sundials--project the hour angle of the sun onto the dial surface
        horizontal--particular (fixed latitude)
                plate
                garden
                string-gnomon
                compass
                floating
                cannon
                reclining
        horizontal--universal (multiple latitudes)
                Butterfield-type
                inclinable
        vertical--particular (fixed latitude)
                direct south (north, east, west) facing
                declining
        equatorial--particular
                garden inclined plate
                bow-string or crossed-Cs form
        equatorial--universal
                universal equatorial
                Augsburg-type
                Augsburg-type with cam
                mechanical equatorial
                spherical or globe
        polar--particular
        multiple-faced--particular
                polyhedral
                cruciform
                cube
        multiple-faced--universal
                diptych
                polyhedral inclinable
                cube inclinable
                cruciform inclinable

II.  Altitude sundials
        [generally for particular latitudes but some can be made universal]
        ring
        pillar
        vertical plate
        vertical disk
        rectilinear--Capuchin
        rectilinear--Regiomontanus-type
        rectilinear--navicula
        De Rojas-type
        scaphe
        horary quadrant

III.  Azimuth sundials
        simple azimuth--particular
                pin-gnomon ??
                analemmatic ??
        magnetic azimuth--particular
        magnetic azimuth and universal multiple-faced
                Bloud-type diptych

IV. Astronomical compendia--instruments that combine multiple time finding instruments, maps, or mathematical tables in a single package.

Here are the problematic ones for me-- Where should these be placed?

Universal ring dials and crescent dials--these are self-aligning, and so must be more than simply directional equatorial dials. Are they combinations of hour-angle and altitude sundials, or something else?

horizontal (or vertical) pin-gnomon--e.g. a sundial with a vertical-(horizontal)-stick gnomon
        often used to display Italian or Nuremberg hours
        or to show time and date (or place of sun in zodiac) or lengths of
daylight.

        ?? is this an azimuth dial??

Oughtred-type dial (also called the "double horizontal dial") --a combination of a a horizontal plate dial with a polar gnomon and one with a vertical-stick gnomon--self-aligning
        ?? is this a combo hour-angle and azimuth sundial??

Analemmatic dial (modern form) with elliptical hour scale--is this an azimuth dial? Analemmatic dial (historical form) is a combination of a directional horizontal sundial plus an elliptical analemmatic sundial on the same plate. It is self-aligning.

Heliochronometer--standard definition? A solar chronometer that uses the sun to find mean time directly. Where would this go in the classification? An equatorial dial with a date cam?

Thanks for the help!
Sara