Message text written by Claude Hartman
>He asked me if there were such use of Gothic
numerals in old sundials.  Like older clocks, I
would guess so. <

Not many at all in the UK, Claude. Two or three sundials recorded by the
BSS use Gothic script on their dialplates for mottoes and inscriptions but
only two (as far as I know) use gothic numerals, one is a Direct Vertical
South dial dated 1890 and the other a Horizontal dated 1929.  So not very
old usage at all.

In fact we don't see gothic numerals on clocks here much either - except of
course for what might well be our most famous clock - called (incorrectly)
'Big Ben' in London  - and its replicas. That's only dated 1854 so it
doesn't seem to be a matter of old use here in the UK anyway. I don't know
if the original clock that was built for the competition to find a
clockmaker up to the task and which is now in use as the church clock at
St. Dunstan's, at Cranbrook in Kent also uses gothic numerals but it might.

Patrick