  From: Roger Bailey
  To: Frank King ; Jack Aubert ; 'Sundial List'
  Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 10:00 AM
  Subject: Re: Azimuth of Sunrise - Sunset

  Hi Jack, Frank and al,

  Your question "What is the path of the sun at sunrise or set?" is a good one.
The answer given by Frank is simple and subtle. Actually it is a Smart
question, posed by W. M. Smart in his "Textbook on Spherical Trigonometry".
Prof Smart leaves it as a question to be solved by students as a homework
exercise, Question 2, Chapter 2 "If Phi is the angle which a star makes at
rising with the horizon, prove that Cos Phi = Sin Lat x Cos Dec".

  I enjoy sunrise and sunset. These are the only times of the day when you can
almost get away with staring at the sun. I summarized the derivation and
application of the sunrise equations in a presentation at the NASS conference
in Hartford in 1999. Have a look at "Sunset Phenomenon: The Use of Spherical
Trigonometry to Determine when, where and how the sun rises and sets" This is
available at my website www.walkingshadow.info as a small, 200 kb pdf file, #
14 on the list of sundial publications. It is a relatively small (200 kb) pdf
file as I deleted all the sunset photos.The spherical trigonometry is all there
except for the Prof Smart's proof. I will leave that as a homework exercise for
students. It remains a great question for the final exam.

  Regards,

  Roger Bailey