> If you make the dial with a tublular gnomon, and you design the face so
that the time is read from the center of the shadow instead of the edges of
the gnomon's shadow, then you eliminate the Noon Gap. Do you think this is
the best solution? <

>From the point of view of an accurate dial, one that can be calculated and
one that members of the public can read easily, I am certain that it is.

I have designed two 12m (or so) diameter dials this way and, by a proper
choice of gnomon diameter the shadow is very easy to read.  Indeed, if you
want a bit of fun, if you have Google Earth and care to type in  52 45'
16.28"N, 01 08' 12.33" W   then you go directly to the second of these
dials. It's in Barrow-on-Soar in Leicestershire, UK.  The time can even be
read from space (well, with good magnifcation it can <g>). Google Earth's
imaging is so good that I have even thought of trying to calculate what day
that photo was taken - though I haven't done so yet.  (If anyone wants to
try, the gnomon length was such that the shadow on the summer solstice just
touches the outer diameter of the chapter ring which is just inside the
'mini-stonehenge' like stone circle).

Regards

Patrick