>J Tallman wrote: "Yesterday evening I was driving south on the interstate
and saw a fabulous sunset where the sun was incredibly magnified...even
before it got right down on the horizon. There were thin clouds that cut
the light enough for me to observe the disk, and it sure did look wide. How
would an apparently larger solar disk like that affect the gnomon/distance
ratio and the shadow width characteristics on a tubular polar style, say,
with the resultant shadow landing on the inside of an equinoctial ring
where the receiving surface is parallel to the gnomon? The dark umbral part
of the shadow would be diminished, right? I wonder if that effect should be
factored in when choosing the ratio to use in determining the optimum
diameter of a tubular gnomon"<

The vertical squashing effect that you saw (which, whilst genuine, doesn't
involve any form of magnification by the way - that is an optical illusion)
is due to refraction which is virtually incalculable when the sun is near
the horizon since its effect is often more due to the atmospheric cooling
and the geometry of any grazing ray in the terrain which is only yards and
miles near to where you are as an observer. Indeed, its effects on the
rising/setting appearance of the moon at night can be far different to that
seen a little time before, at the time of sunset, for the same reason.  Any
of the series of books on 'Megalithic Lunar Observatories' by Professor
Thom and his son go into this effect in considerable detail  - much more
than I have seen elsewhere - whatever you might think of their ultimate
conclusions about the stone circles of Britain and Brittany.  Very well
worth a read!

Basically, the answer to your question is that it actually makes little
difference since you just cannot rely on any sundial's reading at or near
the time of sunset since there is little or no reproducibility in the
effective level of refraction from one day to the next .  Indeed that is
the case for any dial when used for time telling below a solar altitude of
10 degs - but, as with any dial, a cylindrical gnomon makes life easier!
If you are designing a dial with a cylindrical gnomon, just ignore
refraction is my advice!!

Patrick