Dear Fellow Dialers,
As research for a talk and book, I am seeking images of sundials in art, literature, music, or advertising. My aim is to explore the iconography of the sundial in diverse media over a long range of time. The sundial in the picture might be central to the message of the work of art (as in an emblem or exhortation not to waste time), or it might be clustered with other objects (as in a scholar's study or with instruments trampled by war), or it might be off to the side as a piece of romantic background furniture (as in a garden scene with lovers or on a wine label). What I am not interested in for this project are plates from dialing books showing the mathematical construction of dials. However, the ornamental title pages or frontispieces of such works can have vignettes of people using a dial, and these would be of interest to me. Also at the NASS meeting in Seattle, we were treated to some sundial music from the early modern period. It was wonderful. I would be grateful to anyone who has the titles, lyrics, or music to send copies to me. If you wish to send me your replies off list in order to include jpegs, please do so. I promise to share the fruits of this search with the list when the project is done.

Thanks for your help!
Sara

--
Sara Schechner, Ph.D.