Alex wrote: !While on a search for something else, I began noticing that
values for the declination of the sun seem to vary a great deal

In using a date of September 1st  you are in a period of the year when the
declination of the sun is changing by about 21 or 22 arcminutes per day so
the time chosen on the days in question is important..  Also because of the
leap year cycle there will typically be a 5 arcminute change from year to
year at that time of year so any one quoted figure that makes no mention of
the year will also not reflect the instantaneous figure.

I suspect that the majority of the differences that you are seeing are
connected with estimates made for different times of day or are ones using
averages over four years - or both!.  If you are looking for higher
accuracy then I'd choose a calculator that permits input of both date and
time.

Regards

Patrick