*Some other curious properties of the Italic and Babylonian hours.*

I will adopt here the Frank’s notation  :  F=French or modern hours;
I=Italic; B=Babylonian.

Moreover  T=Temporary and D = duration of the clear day (from   dawn to
sunset).

The simple following formulae are valid:

I=F+(24-D)/2             (1)

B=F-(24-D)/2             (2)

T=6+12(F-12)/D         (3)

I+B = 2F (as usual)

I-B = 24-D= duration of the night

(1) and (2)  suggest one method  to draw the daily lines (hyperboles)
corresponding to the days whose length is equal to an integer of hours =D.

If the duration D is an odd number  it is necessary to have the hour lines
with modern hour every half an hour.

If we take , for instance, D=14 they  become I=F+5 and B=F-5: the hour lines
with modern hours F,   Italic I and   Babylonian B  meet in a point that
belongs also to  the daily line  corresponding to the  day whose length is
14 hours. If we connect all the points that we obtain changing the value of
F we have daily line.

For instance F = 7; I=12; B=2   or   F=16; I=21; B=11

For instance: with D=9  we have  I=F+7.5 and B=F-7.5

----------------------

In the points of the daily lines corresponding to a duration D=6, 12, 18 we
find four hour lines with an integer number of hours : with  modern, Italic,
Babylonian and Temporary hours.

 (see formula n. 3)

For D=18 it is necessary to consider only the values of F multiple of 3.

For D=6  we have  T=2F-18 and, for example,  the lines with F=10, I=19, B=1,
T=2 pass all through the same point.

For D=18 we have  T=2F/3-2 and, for example,  the lines with  F=15, I=18,
B=12, T=8 pass all through the same point.

This is a simple (  J ) method  to draw the Temporary hour lines.

Best wishes

Gianni Ferrari