Dick
Thanks for that correction. I am sorry I was being so insular and did not think
it all through.

One is seeing the interplay between two equations :
1)      sunset/rise being (more or less) = 12 +/- [acos{tan(latitude) .
tan(declination)}]/15 with declination change rather minimal around the solstice
2)      equation of time changing rapidly around the winter solstice.

There is a third influence - but I think it probably plays an insignificant
part - the difference between the usually quoted geocentric equation of time
and its topocentric cousin - which varies the equation of time by up to a
second dependent on both time of day and latitude.

Best regards
Kevin