Babylonian Hours - counted from Sunrise ?
The shadows in picture are not good - so don't assume the times will be right

The dial is not a polyhedral dial that one would set up in the garden which
would read the same time on each face according to the time of day. Its a
portable dial to be carried around (as a sign of one's sophistication?). My
first guess was that one was supposed to get it pointing north with the compass
and read standard hours. Turn it though 90 degrees about the polar axis and
read Babylonian hours.

What is odd is that the dial is set for a latitude of 23.5 ° (a significant
angle !) - nowhere near the latitude of London where the dial (and its
predecessor in Holbein's portrait of Nicholaus Kratzer) were made.

Then, thanks to John Davies for making that connection, I took a look Peter
Drinkwater's 1993 "The Sundials of Nicholaus Kratzer". I quote... "the
conception of these Dials is brilliant, but its execution unperceptive and
horologically useless"....  and .... "Holbein was a good observer and a
meticulous recorder" ... and ... "what is depicted can do nothing: it is simply
not right, and would seem to be a Kratzerian cock-up of magnificent
proportions".

Does anyone know any of Peter Drinkwater's descendants? It would be nice to get
their permission to re-publish his little booklet to the Sundial Mailing list.