From: Kevin Karney
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 8:16 PM
To: Marcelo
Cc: Sundial List
Subject: Re: varying speed?

Marcelo

Nothing is constant in the heavens !
The 'tropical' year (from equinox to equinox) is 365.242190 days
The 'sidereal' year (fixed star to fixed star) is 365.256363 days
The 'anomalistic' year (perihelion to perihelion) is 365.259636 days - cycling
over a period of some 21000 years
(values for 2009 from Astronomical Almanac)
But these are mean values having averaged out the effects of nutation (the
wobbling of the Earth's axis) and various other effects.

Perihelion is even more complicated....
in 2010 - 3rd January 0 hrs
in 2011 - 3rd January 19 hrs
in 2012 - 5th January 1 hrs
in 2013 - 2nd January 5 hrs
in 2014 - 4th January 12 hrs
(values from US Naval Observatory web site)

This is strange behaviour - not just a leap year effect!  I have heard that
this is because - from the Keplerean point-of-view - the Earth and Moon rotate
as a unit in an ellipse around the sun - like an out of balance dumbell - whose
centre of gravity is somewhere in the Earth's core but not at its centre. So
the actual moment when the Earth is closest to the Sun depends on the position
of the Moon. This was explained to me some 50 years ago by my uncle who was a
dedicated but amateur astronomer. I have never it confirmed by a professional
astronomer.

Best regards
Kevin Karney
Freedom Cottage, Llandogo, Monmouth NP25 4TP, Wales, UK
51° 44' N 2° 41' W Zone 0
+ 44 1594 530 595