Sara wrote
By the third century BC there were so many of them that people complain about
having to run their lives by these blasted timepieces.

I guess this is her source....

Titus Maccius Plautus 254 - 184 BC - a influential Roman playwright of comedies
- is quoted, in 'Attic Nights' by Aulus Gellius ca 125 - after 180 BC, as
saying…..

The Gods damn the man who first discovered the hours and - yes - set up a
sundial here which has smashed the day into bits.When I was a boy, my stomach
was the only sundial, by far the best and truest compared to these: it used to
warn me when to eat.

I have the same complaint these days - but it is about iPhones, TV, computers

Best regards
Kevin