On 22/03/2014 10:48, John Davis wrote:
Hi Doug, Elizabeth et al,

Yes, the James Fox programme on the English Renaissance was interesting - though not absolutely correct with its facts. When describing Nicholas Kratzer's contribution to dialling, it was actually misleading and tended to perpetuate the myth that Kratzer introduced dialling to England (rather than just popularising it).

Kratzer wasn't "brought to Britain" by Henry VIII to look after his clocks. He came first to work for Sir Thomas More, quite possibly after an introduction by their common contact Erasmus. He then went to work for Cardinal Wolsey at Oxford and then to Henry. Our Nicholas was quick to smell the way that the political wind was blowing and work his way up the tree!

Kratzer was not an inventive dialler and his grasp of dialling (gained from copying out manuscripts - already 'old' - in a Bavarian monastery) was shaky. The late Peter Drinkwater (one of the few proper diallists to study Kratzer's notebooks in the Bodeian) was fairly dismissive of his abilities.

Fox's demonstration of the operation of the Kratzer portable dial in the Oxford MHS using a torch was also misleading - it made it look as though the sloping edges of the gnomons were polar-oriented, which they aren't.

The next episode in the series will include a visit to Sir Thomas Tresham's famous Triangular Lodge, with all its crazy Catholic symbolism. Look out for the three sundials, the one on the north face with a gnomon repositioned upside-down. [English Heritage, who look after the building, were told many years ago but took no notice.]

So, enjoy the series by all means but remember the Royal Society's motto of Nullius in verba!

Regards,

John
-----------------------------------

Dr J Davis
Flowton Dials http://www.flowton-dials.co.uk/

From: Douglas Bateman <douglas.bate...@btinternet.com>
To: Sundial list <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Sent: Friday, 21 March 2014, 22:06
Subject: British Renaissance and sundials

I have just seen an excellent BBC programme called A Very British Renaissance. The presenter, Dr James Fox, included the painting by Holbein - The Ambassadors, and gave full credit to Nicholas Kratzner with the presenter handling Kratzner's personal polyhedral dial. He also conducted an interview with one of our top dial makers, Joanna Migdal, in her studio.

I gather not all will be able to see the BBC iPlayer, but worth a try. Perhaps some clever member could extract the relevant section of the programme.

Best wishes, Doug

It's a pity that they haven't followed their own motto when it comes to  'catastrophic anthropogenic global warming' but that's a discussion for another day :-)

Richard Mallett
Eaton Bray, Dunstable
South Beds. UK