Hi Everyone,

I joined this list because I have a specific question which I can't find a
definitive answer to.

I want to install a sundial at Perth WA Australia which is pretty close to
32deg South latitude.

>From what I can determine that means the Gnomon should be 32deg above
horizontal.

Or is that just for the Northern Hemisphere ??

As I move North in Australia the Latitude number gets Smaller

Eg Latitude of Brisbane QLD (further North) is 27.46deg

So presumably the Latitude at the Equator would be Zero !

Which would mean a sundial Gnomon at the Equator would be Horizontal ie Flat
on the Ground

Which of course would not work.

And at the South Pole it would be Vertical 90deg from Horizontal and also
would not work since there would be no ground for the shadow to fall on.

So. Am I correct to put it at 32deg from Horizontal for Perth WA or not ?

Phil Dorman /:~)>

 <http://www.maates.com/> MAATES_Transparent_for_email

Machinery Appreciation & Transport Engineering Society
946 Wattagan Crk Rd
Watagan NSW 2325

0419 501285