Recessed?
______________
Th. Taudin Chabot

------ Origineel bericht ------
Van: "John Pickard" <john.pick...@bigpond.com>
Aan: "Sundial List" <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Verzonden: 28-10-2016 00:12:02
Onderwerp: Terms to describe markings on dials (or other objects)

Good morning,

As part of my research on wire strainers (tools used to tighten wire in fences) I am struggling with trying to find some generic terms to describe the markings (patent numbers, part numbers and other information) on the tools.

My problem is that the markings are either "raised" (embossed) or "lowered" (engraved / stamped). The method of marking can be via casting, forging, or hand-stamping. What I am looking for is a generic term for the "lowered" markings. I have seen the word "debossed" as an antonym of "embossed", but it seems to be a neologism created specifically for this purpose.

I'm trying to avoid using "cast", "forged" or "stamped" as these terms are all about the method of marking, not about the form of the markings. And both cast and forged markings can be either raised or lowered. This is not just an issue for me and the wire strainers I'm working on. Zillions of objects in museums have markings that need to be described, but I've been unable to find a suitable term to include in the "restricted vocabulary" I am developing for my work.

I'm quite happy to use "raised" as a simple, clear and neutral (i.e. independent of the method or marking) term for any embossed markings, but I would welcome any suggestions for a similar generic term for markings that are below the surface. I've looked at various thesauri (pedant!), but so far I haven't found any terms that really works.

Cheers, John

John Pickard
john.pick...@bigpond.com