Frank,

Thanks for the puzzle. I think that these instructions might work if you
ventured to the antarctic circle during the southern winter and then
trecked to a position such that your latitude is greater than 90-Dec (so
that the midnight sun is visible) but less than 90. The shadow of the stake
would then be longest and point to true north at true solar midnight.

Geoff