I'm not asking about the *instructions *for constructing Capuchin and
Universal Capuchin dials. I'm asking about the principle, the explanation,
the justification, for their construction.

Some websites have said or implied that it has to do with an orthographic
planisphere. I'm familiar with the use of a universal planisphere, an
azimuthal projection of the celestial sphere in equatorial-aspect.  ...but
it isn't entirely clear how that relates to the Capuchin dials.

I found a handwaving explanation on the web. I've pasted its diagram, and
some of its "explanation", below in this e-mail.

The explanation says that the diagram below, an orthographic projection of
the celestial-sphere, looks just like a Capuchin dial.  And that's supposed
to be an explanation.

So, how does an orthographic projection of the celestial-sphere lead to a
justification and explanation of the construction of a Capuchin or
Universal Capuchin dial?

Can anyone here explain that? If so, the explanation would be appreciated.

Michael Ossipoff

[image: Inline image 1]