Hildevert is a Catholic saint - recognized primarily in the north-central
region of France, but he once also had a following in England.  He probably
had nothing to do with dialing.  There are a number of 'saints' who had
some interest in sundials, but that's not what I was primarily interested
in.  What I wanted was to find a patron saint who, at some point in
history, was adopted as such by an identifiable group of dialists.  From my
perspective, an established tradition is of more interest than trying to
justify any new assignment.   Hildevert was the official patron saint of
French workers in lace and ivory.  Given the ivory sundial industry in
France, French dialists adopted him as their patron.

As I often point out - this sort of information would be familiar to those
who subscribe to The Compendium!  You can read two very brief articles on
Hildevert by downloading the file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xuwfyzw2065ps6n/Hildevert.pdf?dl=0

Fred