Hello all,

It’s always interesting to look a little further into an old sundial –
especially when it is one that is one of the lesser-known ones and is of some
age too.
This is true of a lovely dial set up in 1790 in Grantham, UK. [Grantham
appeared as early as 1086 in the Domesday Book and was of course the place
where Isaac Newton was first educated].

The dial of interest is a West Declining Dial which was partially ‘restored’ in
1968 but which restoration has left a number of questions behind.

I would be interested to hear of any others’ comments about the various
examples of restoration ‘drift’ and other oddities that are evident on this
dial.
My initial summary about the dial can be found via a link on the SunInfo Web
Page (www.bit.ly/suninfo) or more directly at
http://www.ppowers.com/grantham.htm.

What might the letters ‘San’ mean?, is the motto unique in the UK? and why were
the declination lines not restored too?, all come to mind.

Patrick Powers