De : Michael Ossipoff <email9648...@gmail.com>
Envoyé : lundi 29 juin 2020 19:31
À : Ross Sinclair Caldwell <belmu...@hotmail.com>
Cc : sundial list sundials <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Objet : Re: Time problem

Okay, but there's the inaccuracy of the clocks in those days, and the
importance of that would depend on how they determined Sunrise. I guess they
set the clocks by sundial or noon-mark, but, as you said, it depends on how
often they set them.

Anyway, the difference between the NOAA Sunrise-time, and the one calculated by
the planetarium-programs could result from the planetarium-programs not taking
into account the changes in orbit or obliquity.  I'd expect that the NOAA
figure would be more reliable.

Sunrise & Sunset times are usually calculated using a standard value for
atmospheric refraction at the horizon. The usual assumption is that the
refraction is 34 minutes and that the Sun's apparent semi-diameter is 16
minutes. Maybe NOAA used a calculated semi-diameter instead of the standard 16
minutes.

You don't have sufficiently reliably accurate information for a horoscope
accurate to the minute, and another reason for that is that unusual atmospheric
refractivity could change Sunrise-time by minutes.

Michael

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 1:09 PM Ross Sinclair Caldwell