Ooof!

Did the method of adjusting all the logs by +10 really make the task easier?

Merely negating the log seems better to me.... or simply learning to do arithmetic on negatives.

Steve

On 2022-08-09 8:11 a.m., R. Hooijenga via sundial wrote:

Frans' answer is much to the point here.

When I started at sea, star fixes were computed on a sight reduction form. Without the benefit of a calculator, it would be folly to attempt this without logarithms. (At the time, I did have a brand-new Sinclair Scientific, but the first mate took a dim view of this new-fangled contraption.)

To avoid the negatives, 10 was added, only to be dismissed after the addition or subtraction.

The example below is from W.L. Kennon: /Astronomy/, which I kept from freshman year. It shows the use of logarithms and of the ‘10’.