Dear Steve,

Michael, Werner and Fabio have provided some
excellent responses to your question.

If you are ONLY interested in relating three
ANGLES - solar longitude, solar declination
and the obliquity - then this relationship is
indeed all you need:

  sin(lambda).sin(obliquity) = sin(declination)

Importantly, the cusps (starts) of the 12
Zodiacal months are DEFINED as being at
30-degree intervals round the ecliptic.
If you wish to use one-third months, then
using 10=degree intervals is the right thing
to do.

[ASIDE: I deliberately overlook numerous little
details such as 12x30 not being quite 360 degrees
because the sun doesn't QUITE get back to where
it started, but you can usually ignore that
unless you want to discuss fine details with
Werner :-)]

As every diallist knows, equal angles do not
generally translate into equal intervals of
time.  The sun doesn't travel round the
ecliptic at a uniform speed.

Fabio's ring illustrates this beautifully
BUT Fabio's French Republican Calendar
also tells you about this, not just on the
inside front cover but also...

By looking at the information provided
for each day, you can do some simple
investigation as to how the lengths of
the Zodiacal months vary...

At the moment we are in Vintagarious, the
first month, and you will see that each
day has the symbol for Aries.

Next month is Fogarious and you will see
that each day has the symbol for Scorpio.

The following month is Frostaious and you
will see that each day has the symbol for
Sagittarius.

This seems too good to be true.  Seemingly
the 30-day months are precisely in sync
with the Zodiacal months.  Sadly this isn't
quite the case because...

The following month is Snowous and only
the first 29 days shows the symbol for
Capricorn.  We are at our closest to the
sun here and actually cover more than
one degree a day.  You will see Day 30
shows the symbol for Aquarius.

The Calendar is running one day slow!

Here is a table of the crude end-of-month
errors in days slow (-) and days fast (+):

 Vintagearious   0
 Fogarious       0
 Frostarious     0
 Snowous        -1
 Rainous        -1
 Windous        -1
 Buddal         -1
 Floweral        0
 Meadowal       +2
 Reapidor       +3
 Heatidory      +4
 Fruitidor      +5

I find it astonishing that it is only in
the last four months that we end the month
more than a day fast or slow.

Of course we end the 12-month period five
days early which is why the calendar ends
with five (or six) Complementary Days.

This is a nice simple way of showing that
the angular rate of change in solar
longitude doesn't vary very much!

I find that the more I live with this
Calendar the more it grows on me :-)