Dear Rudolf,

I share your interest in 17th century madrigals.  (Although I'm a firm non-smoker, one of my favourites has the line "tobacco is like love..."). My interpretation is that this is a compressed form of poetical expression. Decompressed, I think, it would be: […] thus did they sing: ‘There is no life like ours, No heaven on earth [like] to shepherds' cells, no hell [like] to princely bowers’.

That is, there is an assumed parallelism with the first phrase.

best wishes,

Peter