I apologize. This is a known bug in one of the Motif libraries, which has been fixed but only in Nevada build 115 so it didn't make it into OS2009.06, and I'd forgotten that.

Good news - there's a quite simple fix.

Edit /etc/opt/SUNWut/loginGUI.start as follows:
197c197
< $LOGIN_GUI_PROG -l "$LOGIN_TYPE" "$@" &
---
> LANG=C $LOGIN_GUI_PROG -l "$LOGIN_TYPE" "$@" &

-Bob

Bob Doolittle wrote:
Magnus Varmfors wrote:
There shouldn't be any differences in this
particular area. With 2009.06 you should install
the Motif/CDE packages so you can have access
to the RHA and NSCM features of SRSS:
% pfexec pkg install SUNWmfrun SUNWtltk SUNWdtbas

Tried this, and the package installation works, but if I change from

% /opt/SUNWut/sbin/utpolicy -a -g -z both -D

/opt/SUNWut/sbin/utpolicy -a -g -z both -M

... there's no session. It tries to give me a login screen, but fails.
Checking the GDM log gives no lead as to what's going wrong.

As we discussed offline, what you're seeing is a failure of loginGUI, which is the SRSS-provided GUI used for out-of-session authentication for RHA and NSCM.

For those types of "special" sessions, we don't currently use gdm, so /var/log/gdm/* isn't going to show you anything. In fact, I'm afraid that any errors from those sessions types are simply lost (I need to track this down and figure out if we can easily fix that, so that logging at least gets captured in /var/opt/SUNWut/auth_log as it was supposed to). As a workaround, when debugging X server startup failures from such sessions I usually edit /etc/opt/SUNWut/loginGUI.start to add these two lines near the top of the script:

exec 2>/tmp/loginGUI.out.$$
set -x

Then you should find some files in /tmp that show what's going wrong more clearly.

I understand you're happy now but not mobile. Imagine your ecstasy when you resolve this issue and have fully mobile NSCM sessions in your home :)

-Bob