On Feb 8, 2011, at 10:06 AM, Meik Hellmund wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:20:00 -0500
> Matthew Aycock <m...@mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
>
>> I have a new Ubuntu 10.10 installation that is running the latest patches
>> from Oracle. However, I have an interesting problem. We rebuilt the kernel
>> so that I could use the ALSA drivers and get sound using pulseaudio.
>> However, we have an interesting problem. Upon session creation, we have a
>> script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d that replaces the current default.pa file with
>> one that uses the current $UTAUDIODEV as the sound device. This works fine,
>> until a user tries to log in from a different SunRay. When this login
>> happens the user creates a new
>> default.pa file with a different audio device. The first session then goes
>> into an infinite loop trying to start pulseaudio. In return, there is a
>> daemon polkitd that has a memory leak and consumes all available RAM.
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion on how to prevent this?
>
> This is untested, just an idea:
> create ${HOME}/.pulse/default.pa.${SUN_SUNRAY_TOKEN} instead of
> .pulse/default.pa
> and start pulseaudio with the options  -n -F
> ${HOME}/.pulse/default.pa.${SUN_SUNRAY_TOKEN}

Ok, but I am not sure where pulseaudio actually gets started. Should I start it
after creating the default.pa.TOKEN?

> I would like to add myself to Jens' request: could you make your patches for
> newer linux kernels
> available?

There are no patches. I just rebuild the kernel after turning on the OSS
modules during make config.
If I remember correctly they are the OSS_MIXER, OSS_PCM and OSS Sequencer.

Thanks,

Matthew
Matthew C. Aycock
Operating Systems Analyst/Developer, Lead
Dept Math/CS
Emory University, Atlanta, GA
Internet:  m...@mathcs.emory.edu