Dear Craig and All,

We here at Aberystwyth have too suffered fairly bad sunray
performance for a long time.

[By the way, in the end I abandoned using
Sunray with Solaris 11 as while I got it working, there were lots
of niggling problems and time ran out...]

I have the hires_tick set.   I have the two servers [two T5140s]
connected to ports on exactly the same switch as our class room
of 40 SunRay 2 units.  [I also have a handful of sunrays
connected via another linked switch such as the one I am using
as I type].

I allow the servers to auto-negotiate with the switch, but
I tell the switch to only offer 100mbps full duplex
as part of the auto-negotiate and indeed, that's how
the two ports connecting to the T5140 servers
are shown when I look at current state on the switchor on the servers.

I have "wire frame" window moves set.

The switch is a Dell PowerConnect 5448.

The performance of screen interactivity can get quite
poor when we have more than 20ish students using the system.

The two T5140s are often still showing as 90%+ idle on
all CPUs even though clicking windows
in tools like netbeans or Oracle Studio or moving/clicking
tabs in firefox can be very slow.

We had a student earlier using a PC with Xming coming
in via the "other" ports on the T5140s and reporting
massively better performance than when using the SunRays.

Does anyone use a Dell PowerConnect 5448?

Does anyone have a list of known  good/bad switches
to use in a Sunray network?

Any other bright ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave Price