Thanks very much for your response. I will definitely follow your advices,
they even are requirements for our organization so I have no choice anyway
:-)

My original mail was motivated more like due to the concept of "session"
here - In the SRS administration guide the session is defined as a set of
assigned resources to an user. It's also defined (from the user's point of
view) as a desktop session. As Bjoern said, once a server loses its
connectivity, those sessions are lost.

However, I've seen in a bunch of places that stated that even these
sessions are lost, once the users reconnect, they'll recover the state of
their desktop session (meaning the same desktop environment, the same
windows, applications, etc.). So that's what still doesn't fit to me - Most
of this data is stored in the user's home directory (under .gconf,
.local... directories). So if by default homes are not replicated, how can
the SRSS failover group know each user's desktop state?

Well, all that assuming they actually recover that desktop session and the
places where stated the desktop environment will be recovered are right. If
not, I still don't see a big advantage between using a failover group and
simply reconnecting to a new server chosen by DNS beyond the balancing
algorithm.