Charles wrote:

> Have NOT (so far) been able to fine a faster buss(vs 50) speed that
> doesn't flake out.

The S900 logic board was very picky about a lot of things -- bus speed being
one of them.  One of UCC's own processor configurations would default the
bus to something like 51.8MHz, and that was just about the upper limit.
Many of our own configurations ended up running the bus at somewhere between
45 and 50MHz.

Our lead hardware engineer once explained that most third-party processor
upgrade vendors just didn't get the significance of the bus-speed multiplier
setting (Apple only shared it with actual Mac OS Licensees, like UCC, IBM,
Motorola, Power Computing) nor how critical it was to smooth operation of
UCC's logic boards

So, bottom line, even in the original manufacturing & lab settings at UCC,
we had trouble running an S900 at >50MHz, too.

-KB
http://home.earthlink.net/~supermac_insider/