Sounds like the / directory is owned by an account other than root.
If you can't figure out the source of the problem feel free to open a
support ticket with cPanel and mark it "ATTN: JD" in the subject so I
can take a look.

cPanel's version of mod_suphp is configured in a different way than
most of the distro supplied versions and includes several patches that
change the way it behaves in some circumstances.  I'm always happy to
look at mod_suphp issues with cPanel to see if the root cause is
something in cPanel's code, a local configuration issue or a problem
with the standard mod_suphp code.

J.D.