I get the same thing with FreeBSD 6.0 RC1. It boots to the installer and then when attempting to install, it says it can't find a disk. The controller is found as a SATA. Here is the relevant portion of dmesg (this is from pfSense, but the RC1 looked the same)

atapci0: <Intel ICH7 UDMA100 controller> port 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0xfc00-0xfc0f at device 31.1 on pci0
ata0: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
ata1: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
atapci1: <Intel ICH7 SATA150 controller> port 0xac98-0xac9f,0xac90-0xac93,0xac80-0xac87,0xac78-0xac7b,0xac60-0xac6f mem 0xfeb00000-0xfeb003ff irq 20 at device 31.2 on pci0
ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci1
ata3: <ATA channel 1> on atapci1
ata4: <ATA channel 2> on atapci1
ata5: <ATA channel 3> on atapci1

Lynn

Scott Ullrich wrote:
It appears that FreeBSD is not seeing this drive as attached for some
reason.   Can you try a FreeBSD RC disk?