Check out
http://pfsense.com/mirror.php?section=tutorials/carp/carp-cluster-new.htm

Basically at the bottom of the CARP Sync tab, the slave system shouldn't have a
sync to IP but the SYNC at the top should be checked. The sync IP at the bottom
is only needed at the slave if you have for example 3 failovernodes to
daisychain the config:

master -> backup1 -> backup2 -> ...

I guess atm you have something like that:

master -> backup

permanent syncing loop ;-)

Holger