Ugo Bellavance schrieb:
> On 2009-12-14 22:17, Chris Buechler wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Scott Ullrich<sullr...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> If we where to do this then nobody would read the page and they would
>>> then complain later down the road when they finally learn the
>>> limitations of the image.
>>>

>> People will complain no matter what, even when the cause is a hardware
>> bug outside our control. I plan on eventually uploading an image ready
>> to write, for download on the above linked page, after the text
>> showing the warnings. No sense in making all WRAP users jump through
>> the same hoops. Eventually being whenever I have time, which won't be
>> this week.
>
> I tried to write a decent reply to Scott a couple of times, and I
> decided not to answer because I felt he could get upset with my answer
> (and it wasn't my goal), maybe because my English is not good enough,
> or maybe there wasn't a way.
>
> I like this answer, and there are really 2 facts that are highlighted
> here:
>
> - Users will always complain
> - The better your product and product history, the less users will
> read the warnings.  PfSense has always had a good record to me, so I
> don't read the upgrade document at each upgrade.
>
> I'll wait for the image, Chris, and I don't mind the few weeks of
> wait, but I think that maybe uploading a (or a set of) README files on
> the mirror would help... I would personnally be very tempted to read a
> README file while it is downloading, especially if it has "WRAP" in
> its name.

I upgraded my ALIX yesterday to 1.2.3-RELEASE and found out I need the
BIOS-update (I switched from 128M embedded to 4GB version, too). Turns
out that the image for the BIOS-update provided on the pfSense.org page
doesn't work (maybe it's for a different ALIX, I have an ALIX2-series
board).
Of course, I only found out about this after I had wiped my working
pfSense installation with the BIOS-update image (and no old image
available, and no internet-access anymore).

Luckily, I was able to tether my iMac with my on-call iPhone (the
personal iPhone doesn't have 3G reception at home....) and download the
required files from the pcengines website and finally run 1.2.3 - after
a couple of wasted hours.

So much for "a ready-made image makes it easier for everybody"....

Rainer