>In addition to this, and to controlling DHCP, as another poster mentioned,
>there is an audit method that may take some time, but can be automated to some
>degree.
>
>It's an interesting use of TTLs I saw discussed on another list - you have to
>keep track of the TTLs by the hosts on your network and notice the anomalies.
>Most OSes use a starting >TTL of either 64 or 128. If you notice packets with
>a TTL of 63 or 127 coming from a particular IP address through your
>router/firewall, you have an indicator that that IP address is a >router or
>NAT device itself. I would also suspect that if you see mixed TTLs coming from
>a single IP address, that might also signal something to investigate.
>
>Kurt

And while this is correct if it goes through a router, I don't think a simple
access point will change (decrement) the TTL.  I remember Mikrotik would let
you override the TTL to 1 so that any router hanging off would discard the
packets.  That is unless they used another Mikrotik router that would simple
modify the TTL again.  They did this in a mangle rule.

(Sorry I correct a fat finger issue above)