?...    i'm not sure what you are saying.   the documentation does not
indicate i have to have each modem hanging off its own interface directly
connected the the pfsense box,  and from a network perspective there isn't
anything wrong with having 2 gateways on the same network.  they each have a
unique IP and go to different ISPs.   Am I wrong here?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/smallnet.jpg/

is what the set up looks like.

thanks again,
greg