Hi,

CASALA are organising a workshop at the Pervasive Health conference in May,
that might be of interest to the community here. Titled "Behaviour Modeling and
health of older people in their homes". I'd be very interested to speak with
anyone who would be interested in attending or submitting something to the
workshop (all accepted submissions will be published in IEEE Xplorer).

I'm particularly keen on including something about AAL platforms.

http://casala.ie/news-a-events/50-pervasive-health-2011-aal-workshop.html

Cheers,
Brian

On 4 Feb 2011, at 13:36, Mohammad-Reza Tazari wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> the governing board of AALOA has been invited to organize a special workshop
> (most probably in April this year in Brussels, jointly with the ICT for
> Inclusion unit of the DG for Information Society and Media of the European
> Commission) with the goal to discuss possibilities for funding projects that
> could directly promote the AAL market breakthrough.
>
> This is a big opportunity for AALOA to go a step forward and to give
> foundation to the Manifesto's ideas around which this community is growing.
> Of course, it is also an opportunity for all the satellite projects, which
> could benefit from this funding scheme.
>
> We are asking all of you, especially people involved in running EU projects
> (especially SMEs and enterprises), to express their opinion and if desired to
> send a representative to the workshop in Brussels. This is the right moment
> to help the community by doing networking to reach all the potentially
> interested stakeholders.
>
> The original idea was developed by Reiner Wichert, spokesman for
> Fraunhofer-Allianz AAL (which consists of 13 different Fraunhofer institutes
> in different cities in Germany), who is also one of the first subscribers of
> the AALOA Manifesto.
>
> Reiner developed the idea of "stress testing":
>
> To fill the gap between research and market, the industry must be involved in
> projects that put selected promising research results under "stress tests".
> That is, companies already offering AAL services and products / prototypes
> start to use these results as underlying technologies (platform) in new
> adapted versions of the existing products in such projects. The funding
> should mainly aim at mitigating adaptation costs for the participating
> vendors.
>
> The workshop is expected to examine the usefulness and feasibility of the
> idea in conjunction with an appropriate funding scheme. For this reason, it
> is preferable that the majority of the workshop participants are such
> companies already offering AAL services and products / prototypes. Other
> participants should be entities representing research results that are
> volunteers to go under stress testing. Last but not least, representatives of
> the current funding programmes, such as FP7, CIP ICT PSP, and AAL JP shall
> attend this workshop.
>

> The umbrella of AALOA could be the right place where such action could be
> implemented. In fact, according to the manifesto, AALOA wants to "Design,
> develop, evaluate, standardize and maintain a common service platform for
> AAL", but the problem of creating consensus around a shared platform is still
> an open issue. We think that the open source policy adopted by AALOA is the
> right tool around which consensus can be reached. We are starting to incubate
> projects within AALOA, but from among the EU projects supporting AALOA,
> [...]

Brian O'Mullane
Principal Investigator / Senior Research Engineer
CASALA
Netwell Centre
Dundalk Institute of Technology
brian.omull...@casala.ie