Dear AALOA supporters,

I have received some emails asking for the results of the workshop on Tuesday. This is to try to answer this question.

According to the list of people who signed the participants list on site, 44 from the registered 52 registered people attended the workshop. In my opinion, from a programmatic point of view the workshop was a success: both the presentations and the discussions were appreciated very much, the timing of the sessions was ok, and especially the involvement of non-organizing participants in the whole event, even in the discussions, was very obvious. I believe that this real openness of the organization has once more attracted more trust to AALOA.

The workshop, however, couldn't define any funding scheme for porting projects. Instead, the following can be enumerated as the results:

   * According to my understanding, awareness about the positive role
     of widely accepted AAL platforms for the success on the market was
     created and where already existing, it was increased.
   * I think that it was also understood that porting projects
         o force the platforms to deliver the evidence of being
           practically useful, and hence
         o can serve the process of consensus building so that the
           number of candidate platforms can be reduced to only few
           very promising that have the chance to be accepted and used
           very widely.
   * But the fear was that the owners of prototypes cannot be sure if
     they are in the "right" porting project (in the sense of being in
     a project that finally approves the used platform as a promising one)
   *  From the side of the commission, the role of the European
     Innovation Partnership (in case of AAL, AHAIP standing for Active
     and Healthy Ageing Innovation Partnership, also known as EIP on
     AHA) in the definition of the new priorities was highlighted. As
     far as i understood, the EIPs are supposed to deliver their first
     results until the end of the year and any idea about why and how
     to push the process of consensus building on platforms should be
     communicated to them as soon as possible.
   *  From the side of the AAL JP, it was emphasized that the
     importance of a platform is now more clear for the CMU and that
     the CMU is open towards any suggestion on the incorporation of
     this topic in the AAL JP. However, there is no guarantee if and
     how such suggestions can be considered; also, any decision in this
     regard will take time because it must be ratified by the AALA board.
   * The concrete suggestion about launching "horizontal" porting
     projects in parallel to the projects of the AAL JP calls, where
     the prototypes coming out of the running projects temporarily join
     the porting projects was also classified as one of those ideas
     that can be suggested to the CMU for further examination.
   * The participants agreed to create a protocol with a set of
     recommendations that is then sent both to the AAL JP CMU and to
     the EIP on AHA. For this purpose, they will use a mailing list of
     AALOA. We will put the protocol on the two pages

http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/einclusion/events/aal_market/
     and http://aaloa.org/news/amb11. Also, most of the presentations
     will be put on these pages in the second half of June.

I hope that I didn't miss any important point. Also, this is not any official protocol but my personal view.

Kind regards,

-- Saied